Friday, July 20, 2007

A trip to the Mint









After a morning filled with tantrums, I racked my brain trying to figure out an activity that didn't involve sweating, sunscreen, and swim diapers. I decided to head to the Mint Museum (I'm there weekly for photography sessions, but never think about taking my own kids!) After exploring the gardens around the building we ventured inside. Before heading up in the elevator, I prepped Jack on the rules: no running and absolutely no touching. Ten years ago I worked on preschool activities at the Hickory Museum of Art. It was exciting to use some of the same concepts with my own children. Each gallery included hands-on activity bags for the kids. Jack stretched out in one room to color an African mask. Around the corner in the Romare Bearden exhibit, he created a story and made a collage with laminated shapes.
(As an aside, Mae chose her wardrobe this morning. She took off her pants in the family room and then grabbed my hand. Leading me back to her closet, she exclaimed "dess, dess." Without hesitation she picked out the dress with the "boats" which has quickly become her favorite. Thanks Mimi!)

No comments: