We returned this past Tuesday from an incredible family vacation to Buena Vista, Co. For Adam and myself, this was our first trip to BV purely for pleasure. We experienced the valley as true vacationers. I devoured my time at a small inn by the Arkansas River: lounging in my king sized bed, finishing my novel; eating yummy breakfasts; and soaking in the hot tub. Not once, did we have to awaken at the crack of dawn to make sure campers were up and prepared for our fast-paced schedule of activities. After day hikes, a trip down the river, and endless meals, I felt blessed again by the place that was a formative part of our courtship and early marriage.
God is good. During our five days of rest, He found unique ways to call to my heart, alone and with my family. Our fellowship together was so sweet. I relished a day I spent laughing uncontrollably at "Griswald" moments with the Berry's. (As a rule, we always find a way to get low on gas and as far as possible from a gas station. Meanwhile, Dad's turning red, Mom's muttering under her breath, and we, the kids, are humming "Holiday Road" and laughing to ourselves at the familiarity of the situation).
My little brother, who still has a shock of blond curls, has transformed into a creative, loving, and mature leader. For those five days, I witnessed the Lord's work in his heart and life as he interacted with his fellow staff members and friends, showed us the landscape he has fallen in love with, and performed a swift water rescue in a moment of chaos with dexterity and grace. As the one who has been the "mother"/teacher for 21 years, I have much to learn from my "little brother".

The second annual Balloonavista occurred over the weekend we visited. Adam and I awoke early one morning and chased the balloons at the foot of Mt. Princeton. The culmination of the festival was a "Balloon Glow" on Saturday evening. We filed in at dusk with 500 BV-ites and lined the perimeter of the field at the Rodeo Grounds. Impatiently, we awaited the big moment (patience has never been a virtue synonymous with the Berry clan). While we watched a dog with constipation and several kids playing frisbee, we formed an ad hoc committee and brainstormed ways to enhance next year's festival. Our constructive criticisms should revolutionize Balloonavista 2008. After an hour, the powers that be cancelled the event due to a gentle breeze in the valley. One can never be too safe with the extreme sport of hot air ballooning.

St. Elmo, a ghost town near Mt. Elbert.
Agnes Vaille Falls

Aspen grove at the trailhead of Mt. Shavano.

No comments:
Post a Comment