Blowing out candles on a birthday cupcake after a yummy dinner at Five Guys.
On February 8th, Jack turned five. He decided to celebrate with the family at Five Guys Burgers. It was only when we pulled up to the restaurant that we realized the irony of his choice. Jack claimed he had thought of it all along, afterall he said, "I'm almost a genius, I'm five."
A genius he is. His creativity is limitless. I am amazed by his lego spaceships, robots, and towers. Last night, I compared one of his latest drawing to the Spanish artist Joan Miro. I set before him a book with several examples of Miro's work. Jack's use of line and color has the very same explorative quality and delight. I pray Jack never loses his ability to express himself with markers, crayons, paint, and paper.
Jack has a remarkable desire to know every last detail about every last thing. He has never stopped asking the question, "Why?" (Even his sister has picked up the habit!) I look forward to the time when he can read so that his curiosity can be satisfied by the truth, instead of silenced by my flippant (and oftern exasperated) responses. (He just came in to ask me about the washing machine cycles, "Why is it slowing down, mommy?" Then he moved straight into questions about the chair in which I'm sitting, "Why is the paint coming off in this one place, mommy?" Just a little glimpse into my life...)
When he chooses to, he cares well for his sister. Mae often receives the first hug at preschool pick-up. She runs in yelling his name and he opens wide his arms. I pray this relationship will deepen as they grow up side-by-side.
Happy birthday, sweet boy. I love you to pieces!
No comments:
Post a Comment